Friday, August 10, 2007

Don't tell my children ...

Well, a big thank you to Jennifer at the The Lactivist for bringing this to our attention.

Apparently, Dr. Sanghavi who practices Cardiology and Pediatric Cardiology in Gallup, New Mexico is an "expert" on breast milk. Parents magazine has published his opinion, as a legitimate "expert" on the subject! How does being a cardiologist make you qualified to tell God & every woman in the world, that they are wrong?

Never have I been happier that I cancelled my subscription after the free months ran out! This is not the first article of their that I have disagreed with.

Please don't tell my children that they were exclusively breastfed because I was selfish! I didn't really want to provide them with the best nature has to offer. I didn't really want to boost their immune system. (I wanted them to get sick so I could spend more precious time with them- who doesn't like taking care of a sick child?) I didn't even do it to protect them from things like diabetes & obesity. For goodness sakes I certainly wouldn't want them to have a high IQ (They figure things out fast enough as it is)!

Please don't tell my children that the real reasons I breastfed them was:

  • To spend every second I could with my beautiful babies. (So they would grow up knowing that I would always love them & be there for them.)
  • I was too lazy to carry around bottles, heavy cans of formula, water, a stove & a pot (gotta warm that bottle) or risk the hot water in the public restroom.
  • I believed that babies cry because they need something & I was "not tough enough" to make my baby wait for food.
  • Because I loved them so much that I couldn't stand to let my son starve when he refused to take a artificial nipple. (All I wanted was to spend 2 hours at a Christmas party.)
  • To punish my husband by taking away "his toys."
  • To get out of cleaning the house, washing clothes, doing dishes & cooking because I was busy feeding baby. (Well I tried my best, but this never got me out of doing those things- it only delayed the task.)
  • Don't let me forget how much I LOVE wearing a wet shirt. You know- I minding my own business when suddenly Whoosh! nursing pad is either full or in the wrong place & I'm left with two wet circles on the front of my shirt!

No comments: